Monday, September 12, 2016

Exhibiting in the show "Beyond Rosie the Riveter: Women at Work"

I will be showing my oil painting "Captain Dana, R.N. USAF"
in the Koehnline Museum of Art at Oakton Community College for the show "Beyond Rosie the Riveter: Women at Work". Dana is one of the veterans who generously shared her story and image with me for my "Portraits of American Veterans Project". The show details: Oakton Community College, 1600 Golf Rd., Des Plaines, IL Dates: Sept. 29- October 21, Reception and Artist Talk- Thursday, Sept. 29 5-8 p.m. I will be at the reception to share Dana's story and meet with gallery visitors.
This is my statement for the exhibition:


Strong hard working women build a better more peaceful world. I chose to honour, a woman I admire, Air Force veteran Dana Mayer.  Dana enlisted in the military after nursing school, later working as a transport nurse in Iraq and Afghanistan saving lives on planes, in hospitals and in villages.  She is one of the four brave women represented in my “Portraits of American Veterans Project”. Women have a long history of service in the US military working hard, doing their jobs, with passion and commitment. Thank you Dana for your service.