Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Call and Respond: From Atemisia to Freda at Oakton Community College


I finally sent off my entry for the upcoming juried exhibit at Oakton Community College's Koenline Museum of Art. The theme for this year is a challenge for artists to respond to the work of an influential woman from the past. I have posted my entry titled "Self Portrait in My Studio" and measures 48" high and 36" wide.

I am referencing the sixteenth century Italian artist Sofonsiba Anguissola. She was the first woman artist to gain international celebrity. She began training as a painter at a young age and her many self-portraits are also unique to sixteenth-century Italy. Sofonsiba was a pioneer of female self-portraiture, the first to show their pride in their talent. She became a renowned court painter, and was the first woman artist to have left behind at least fifty paintings as a well defined body of work.

I look forward to the exhibit and will enjoy seeing the way that other artists have interpreted the art by the women that we have to thank for paving the way for us today. I'll post photos of the event after I attend the opening reception in October.